Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Shedding Begins...

Ahh, spring. The birds are chirping, the temperatures are fluctuating between freezing and 75, and my horse is filling my nose and mouth with his hair. I went out this morning in case I needed to break up ice, fed the horse, and scooped poop. I usually play with Charley and Boomer both for a few minutes after I am done with chores before I leave. Boomer was very friendly and as I started scratching his chest I noticed that the process has begun. Hair was flying everywhere. He craned his neck around and pinned me to his shoulder with his head. He nuzzled my back. He rested his jaws on top of my head. At one good spot on his shoulder he lipped my jacked and grabbed it so delicately in his teeth and tugged on it lightly whenever I got to that good spot on his neck! He was loving the curry comb and was letting my curry in places he normaly wouldn't. He was mostly shedding on his chest and neck, but I curried him all over to get ther process started. I curried him for probably 15 minutes and he just stood there and loved it. I have noticed that our best bonding/grooming sessions happen when he isn't tied up. He chooses to be there with me. I love that.

Back to studying cellular communication, mitosis, and meiosis...

No comments: