Monday, June 20, 2011

I had a REAL barn day!!!

John, being the amazing man that he is, took on the task of getting Paisley to take a bottle.  Saturday morning, I grabbed Charley, kissed them goodbye and headed to the barn.  

It had rained REALLY hard the previous few days, so I hadn't planned to ride.  I was just going to trim feet and groom.  When I got out there, two other ladies showed up and were going to ride.  Their horses are Boomer's two pasture buddies.  We took our time getting ready, then rode in the arena for a while and Boomer was very good.  It was nice to have another set of eyes to watch us ride.  Boomer did well, but is still super stiff on his right side.  After having Julie watch us ride a few circles, she could see how stiff he was on that side too.  When I was riding with Karin for lessons, she always got on to me about not using my right leg.  This got me thinking, is he stiff on that side BECAUSE I am not using my leg?  

After we rode in the arena, we went out and rode around the pond.  Boomer was a champ and let me close the gate from his back!  At first, he moved into my leg instead of side passing away, which was ridiculous.   But after a few good kicks (where were my spurs the day I needed them?) he straightened out and moved right over to the gate.  We rode around the pond and through the jump field and all of the horses were great.  

Charley got to play with his buddy Duke and they went swimming, caught frogs, played fetch, and did all kinds of fun 'boy' things together.  

I ended up spending 5 hours at the barn!  That was the longest I have been away from Paisley so far.  She was totally fine and took the bottle from John, no problem!  John had fun with her and enjoyed their daddy/daughter day.  I had a blast riding and I'm not really sure when the last time was that I had so much fun riding!  

1 comment:

Shanster said...

What a great day! And Boomer was so good and Charlie got to go playing... and Dad got some 1 on 1 with his baby girl. Everybody won out!