Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Trick pony

Well, not so much a trick pony as a pony who does what he is supposed to...
I built a wooden platform with John's help.
It is about 5 inches high, 4 feet wide, and 5 feet long.
We took it out to Boomer's paddock last night.
I went out this morning expecting it to be a big ordeal.
He just stepped on.
He walked across it, stopped when I asked him to, and backed off of it.
It took all of 15 minutes, max.
Tomorrow, we will introduce the tent over the platform and see if that is as easy!


I went out again in the afternoon because I have been feeling a bit stubbornly anxious (if that is a possible feeling) about the horse not tying up well. He pulled back as soon as you loop his rope through a fence, post, ring, etc. So, I put on a web halter and a 25' rope and tied him to a tree expecting him to pull back right away. I stood calmly with his head down. I went to get stuff to groom and braid his tail. I knew the detangling spray would set him off, if nothing else would. Sure enough, he went back as soon as I sprayed it once. He reared back, felt pressure, shook his head back into the pull, and jumped forward. He was asleep within 10 minutes. I left him tied up for an hour while I sat nearby watching the clock. Then I untied him, walked him to his pen and over the platform and let him go. Next time, we will try for more than an hour, but I am not sure if I will ever be able to trust him tied up, sometimes he is fine, sometimes he blows up and pulls back.


My grandma gave John and I this amaryllis on Thanksgiving. It has grown about an inch PER DAY and just bloomed yesterday. It is so beautiful! It was a blast to watch it grow so fast also!

No comments: