Tuesday, July 21, 2009

First Blog award!



Thanks to Ellie of Ellie and Werther for this cool award!


honestscrap.png


I think this award is particularly relevant in the horse training/riding community. Horses are incapable of being anything but honest. Thus, we, as riders, should strive to be just as honest as our partners in order to make our communication as clear as possible. Sometimes that honesty isn't pretty, sometimes it makes us proud.


Here are a few things I have learned about horses by being honest with myself:


1. Its best to admit when you have done something stupid. (remember that time I rode... ahem... got bucked off... my green broke horse in a halter bareback, without telling anyone where I was, or wearing a helmet?)


2. Sometimes you have to evaluate your own riding to understand your horses misbehavior. (like when Boomer was bucking at every canter depart until I let go of his face)


3. It is important to look back and see the progress you have made, especially if you are experiencing difficult times. ( just one short year ago I was focused on picking up Boomer's feet and getting him to stand still for the fly spray)


4. Never underestimate what you CAN do! ( more recently, I have been struggling with Boomer's attitude and barn sourness. This is something that I thought was out of my control, but after much thought and planning we are succeeding and making progress!)




I am supposed to pass this award along to fellow bloggers, but I'm not sure who hasn't done this one already! So, if you want it, come and get it!

No comments: