Thursday, October 9, 2008

This is what happens when the sutures rip out...

Arg, time to call the vet!

Yup, all was going so well. I was hoping the scar would be so minimal that the hair would cover it. Then Boomer ripped out about half of his sutures. Dr. Hawkins explained that the skin flap was only acting as a band aid and that it is OK for this to happen, as long as infections don't start cropping up! He asked me when kinds of ointments I had and I started my list with iodine ointment and he said that that was what I needed to use. So, I rinsed it really well and slathered on the iodine ointment. This will take a little longer to heal and will probably leave a bigger scar, but at least he is still getting better a little everyday.
Pretty gross, huh?


When I started to lead him out to rinse his shoulder he kept stopping short and wouldn't walk. I worked on backing and side stepping and he still wouldn't walk. So, I did the karate chop on the leadrope trick and it worked. I got the longe line out so that I could use the stud chain while I rinsed him. Having the stud chain under his chin actually is the best trick for his "I don't want to walk" issue. He stood very well while I rinsed his wound. I used a gentle stream of water but I sprayed in right into the wound to clean out the debris. I put the iodine on it and groomed him. I even brushed his belly and flanks and he didn't even put his ears back. I'm not sure what to think of all of this ear pinning/kicking business. I'll think about it more when he is healed up.


Clean, but ugly!


Covered with Iodine it doesn't look so bad!

I fed him but left him tied up and made him wait while I mucked out his paddock. He is really learning to be patient about his food. When I was ready to feed him I untied him from the Blocker Tie Ring and walked him slowly towards his food. When I say we went slowly, I mean that we took one step and he put his head down by my knee, we took another step and he tossed it up and then put it back down when we stopped. After about 10 steps he had figured out that it was easier to walk with his head down! That was a first! This went well until we were about 3 feet from the feed bucked and he started prancing and tossing his head. We stood for a few minutes until he calmed down and I released him. This process is going really well. Now I am just concerned about his attitude while he is eating. He stomps his feet, never kicking, but stomps with all of his feet angrily. Any suggestions? Should I just leave this one alone? I would like to feel safe enough to muck out his stall when he is eating.
All groomed up! What a good lookin' horse!

His tail is so long! I was trying to get him to look at me for the picture by waving hay above my head... He was not impressed! He did thank me for taking a few pictures of his 'good side' for once!!!


When John gets home I will post more pictures. I will probably go back and add pictures to old posts just to keep his healing timeline less confusing!

*Interesting article on saddle fitting*

No comments: